Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Weekend report

It seems as though every post I have lately requires an apology for being gone too long.  This summer has been a whirlwind.  Bonfires, tea parties, the Oregon coast, and now  a short weekend visit to Victoria, BC.  Marianna and I stayed in this beautiful  Victorian town (pun intended) for three days.   Its really pretty, but I was a little disappointed with how "touristy" it is. We literally walked around until we got to neighborhoods where native Victorians live and/or go.   It was also one of the most expensive cities I have ever been in.   How could  an ice cream cone cost $8.00?!  Regardless; we had a great time.  Our primary activities included eating, sleeping, and walking around without a plan. In that specific order.
As Marianna put it; the wind was not kind to my hair.


Does anyone else find those lion tails excessively long?

Sidewalk art!




Here are some books I (re)discovered this summer: 
-Lies Women Believe, by Nancy Leigh is a must for all women, young and old.  One of my all time favorites.
-Александр Солженитцын, "В Кругу Первом" {The First Circle by A. Solzhenitsin}.  Keep trying to read on my lunch breaks, its been two months and I am only half way through. Since it was originally written for a Western audience, this book really helps to understand the Soviet people, and the post-Soviet mindset.
-Алексей Толстой, "Князь Серебрянный"  {Knight Serebraynii by A. Tolstoy}. Easy read with some theatricality and lovely descriptions of pre-Peter Russia. 
-Николай Гоголь, "Мертвые Души" {Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol}. Ok, I must admit this one is HARD to understand/read/follow. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Share on Tumblr