Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Kiev

Discovered Trey Radcliff's photography today, and his shots from Kiev are too amazing not to share. Of course it may have something to do with the fact that he mostly photographed cathedrals and uses HDR. I don't even know what that means.

But none the less...  breathtaking!

I remember when I was about eight years old and completely enamored by the Byzantine paintings while touring a monastery in Southern Ukraine.  My poor parents literally had to drag me out of there against my will. They worried about me, because I immediately announced that being a nun must be totally worth it if you get to live such a beautiful place. As we were walking out to our car, I saw an ancient nun watering irises on the graves in the graveyard, and changed my mind about monasteries immediately.... The nun randomly popped up in  my childhood nightmares for years and irises still make me think of cemeteries.


Here's a little melody (Отче Наш)  to go along with the photos.


Disclosure: I am a firm believer in Protestant theology; Baptist to be more specific. Consider this post an educational exploration of Slavic culture.

4 comments:

olga.mklnko said...

ahh i love this :)
and irina you crack me up, i love your blog))

Velkuv said...

Thank you very much! Means a lot coming from you, considering I know nothing about keeping up a web site and don't even own Photoshop.

Mary said...

girl, i love you, okay? lets just get that cleared up!

i also love your sweet handwritten postcards. especially ones that come from the portland art museum. i enjoy staring at "the black hat" lady by julian alden weir thats chillen on my desk. ... you have good art taste =D

im fascinated by the beautiful architecture in these kiev photos. makes me want to go overseas and get lost, intentionally.

<3 mk

Velkuv said...

Mary, you will love the "black hat" in person and we shall go see it together asap. Just let me know when you want to make that happen. PS See today's post about getting lost internationally.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Share on Tumblr